Kyle's Career Filmstrip: TV Series and Movies

May 23, 2016

‘Bloodline’s’ Kyle Chandler: ‘I would love to die’ on the show


Kyle Chandler on 'Bloodline' 
The sullen tropical paradise of Netflix’s “Bloodline” finally returns on Friday (May 27).  The entire
second season will be available to stream, so be sure to plan your Memorial Day weekend schedule accordingly. Season 2 picks up immediately where Season 1 left off, and even though audiences will still be able to soak in those beautiful views of the Florida Keys, things are darker than ever for the Rayburn family.

Zap2it got to visit the “Bloodline” set in Islamorada, Fla., sitting down with former “Friday Night Lights” star Kyle Chandler, who plays John Rayburn on the series.

RELATED: ‘Friday Night Lights’ Coach Taylor is back with an important message

We asked for hints about what’s to come in Season 2 and while Chandler couldn’t give too much away, he did offer a few juicy tidbits about where things pick up for the Rayburn family.


Zap2it: What was the most challenging part of filming Season 1?

Kyle Chandler: Physically, the last scene because I had what the guys said as close to a pneumonia as you can get. And I had some family matters that took place at the end of the year, it was just hard. But it was very rewarding. Everything came out great. We’re like in Neverland down here. We’re separated from the rest of the world. The hardest part of the whole deal is missing the family. But that’s always the case.

Is there a change in the hierarchy in the family in Season 2?

There’s certainly a leveling. Everyone’s got a few different cards now, and everyone’s hiding a few of the cards.

Do you think John thinks he’s a good person?

When I’m looking at the character, I can objectively step out and say, “Wow.” But he didn’t commit the
atrocity that other people might see he committed. He hasn’t dealt with everything, yet. If I looked at John, I think there would many times where he’d be getting up at 3 o’clock in the morning, unable to sleep, sitting outside trying to figure out and justify whatever he’s thinking.

There’s a whole existence that you don’t see on camera that he’s a very lonely, dark, screwed up person. On camera, the fact that I hide it, is revealing how much there is of it.


RELATED: Ben Mendelsohn has ‘a very important story’ in ‘Bloodline’ Season 2

 

Will there be more flashbacks of a younger John?

There are a few of those. And a few moments where you’ll see Danny again. Those wonderful actor kids are back.


Is it strange interacting with them?

I have seen one [on the show]. We had a whole conversation. We were doing a scene where I look and see myself, and something was in the script or someone asked a question, where it was like, “How can I respond to myself?” We all just started laughing. There was a mirror in the shoot too, so it was like multiple …

John is everywhere!

Yeah!

You’ve said working on this show is like an acting class, what have you learned?

Every show offers different opportunities. We play around with the material. We’re encouraged to find different things, do it different ways, find different emotions. Glen [Kessler], Todd [A. Kessler], and Daniel [Zelman] then do as they will with it. It’s very different in that sense. Usually, you come on, you got your position, know basically what the game is. This, you don’t know what the game is. The weather changes very often.

What did you learn from watching Season 1?

I learned to trust the editor’s choices. Especially towards the end when no one had seen anything. We had no idea of anything. We were in the Keys, having fun, getting paid to do what we do. After seeing it, it was 1) a
tremendous relief, 2) a wonderful surprise and 3) it made us more excited about coming back the next year.

What’s next for John?

I can’t explain it. At the end of the first season, when the script came out with how it ended. I thought to
myself, “How am I gonna do this? What am I gonna do?” and I just threw it to the wind. So, I’m in for the
ride. Do I know where John is going? We don’t know. I don’t have anything to look forward to. I try to guess what they’re gonna do, but I don’t know.

It’s like a dart into a balloon. We’re in Episode 209 today. There has to be a fireworks finale, but we don’t know what it is. We’re all trying to figure out what’s happening in 210.

Do they film multiple endings?

As far as alternative endings, literally written pages coming down to us, I haven’t seen that. And I question that too, because if a show doesn’t come back, how do you end it? So I floated the balloon, “Kill John!” I would love to die. But the show looks to be in good shape because they haven’t considered any alternative endings such as that.

The entire Season 2 of “Bloodline” premieres on Friday, May 27, on Netflix.


Filed in TV


http://zap2it.com/2016/05/bloodline-returns-darker-than-ever-kyle-chandler-talks-season-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment